Paralegal cover letter
View this sample cover letter for a paralegal, or download the paralegal cover letter template in Word.
As a paralegal, you know the power of the written word when it comes to persuading someone. To be considered for top paralegal jobs, your cover letter must demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for service. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for a paralegal, or download the paralegal cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about legal careers and look for paralegal jobs on Monster.
Paralegal cover letter template
Sometown, MA 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
August 10, 2017
Mr. Walter Smythe
55 Pioneer Way
Sometown, MA 55555
Re: Paralegal Position Advertised on Monster
Dear Mr. Smythe:
Throughout my six-year career as a paralegal and legal assistant, I earned consistent praise for my attention to detail, organizational abilities, legal research skills and strong grasp of case law and litigation management. These skills appear to be an excellent match to the requirements listed in your paralegal job posting, and I am very interested in the opportunity.
I currently serve as a paralegal for XYZ Corp., where I work closely with general counsel to provide paralegal support on a number of high-priority cases and projects. Within the first few months of my employment, I created XYZ’s centralized system for corporate and subsidiary records, garnering feedback from the CEO and general counsel for this “outstanding effort” that improved information accessibility, prevented missed deadlines and ensured compliance with state requirements.
Previously as a paralegal for DEF Corp. (a law firm specializing in criminal and civil litigation), I thrived within a high-volume and deadline-intensive environment. I received commendations for my trial preparation work, ability to handle complex assignments and dedicated support of senior attorneys. I demonstrated due diligence in preparing hundreds of discovery demands, motions and case-status reports and managed clients from diverse backgrounds.
My qualifications include a bachelor’s degree in business administration, a paralegal/litigation specialty certificate, training in IP law and proficiencies in Westlaw, LexisNexis, Summation and MS Office Suite.
I would like the opportunity to discuss how I can contribute to your legal team. To arrange a meeting, please call (555) 555-5555 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
Finding a rewarding legal career means establishing the right employer connections. A well-worded cover letter is an excellent way to sell your professional accomplishments and experience, helping you stand out among a pool of job applicants. Take a look at the attached legal assistant cover letter example and the following writing tips to get a better idea of how to handle writing a successful, job-winning cover letter.
- Don’t simply restate your resume. Your cover letter is an opportunity to expound on the information you’ve already provided. Share how your experiences have shaped you both personally and professionally.
- Do cater your skills and experiences toward the position at hand. If you’re unsure of which jobs and skills to include, create a word cloud from related job descriptions to find common key phrases, such as document drafting” or interrogatories.”
- Don’t be generic. Avoid general phrases that could be about any industry or position.
- Do consider including a headline that captures employers’ attention. There is no steadfast formatting rule, so feel free to experiment.
Legal Assistant Advice
Looking for a career in the law? Consider a career as a legal assistant. A legal assistant provides support to a lawyer or firm by performing legal research, drafting documents, and trial preparation. Legal assistants require training, solid writing and research abilities, and an impressive cover letter. Use the cover letter examples below as a guide in drafting your paralegal cover letter. Designed specifically for legal assistants, these cover letter examples will show you what employers are looking for, so you can get more interviews and start working sooner.
Cover Letter Tips for Legal Assistant
Locating jobs as a Legal Assistant which are appropriate for any skill level can be a bit of a challenge, just as finding a job anywhere in the United States in the current economy can be difficult. However, there are a few tips any applicant can follow in order to increase the productivity of their job search while simultaneously reducing stress.
1. Take advantage of job fairs in the area in order to learn more about the local job market while discovering new opportunities.
2. Attend classes which help those searching for jobs to sharpen their interviewing skills.
3. Never give up on a job lead unless the employer responds with a concrete no. ” Otherwise, there may still be a chance to obtain the desired position.
4. Maintain a strong online presence on social media websites; it is estimated that nearly 45% of employers now pull recruits from sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn.
5. Face-to-face networking can be just as important as online connections. Getting your reputation out there is always a good thing.
Legal Assistant Job Seeking Tips
Regardless of the amount of experience or education someone has, the real way to open doors to nearly all of the jobs as a Legal Assistant is the creation of a great cover letter. Though there is oftentimes a great deal of debate concerning what makes a perfect cover letter, there are some qualities which they should definitely display.
1. Wording should be consistent, clear and concise in order to ensure that no date is misrepresented.
2. Never lie on a cover letter. If any information is found to be false, it could be a grounds for immediate dismissal further down the line.
3. When listing education or work experience, it’s best to list the information in reverse chronological order.
4. Ideally, a good cover letter should be between 1 and 2 pages long, with 2 pages being reserved for those with extensive experience in the field.
5. Using a splash of color in the wording or a unique layout can help any cover letter stand out from the stack.