If you enjoy solving problems, and want to make a real difference in the world, then Curtin can help you build a successful and rewarding career in engineering. As a future engineer at Curtin, you will develop the knowledge and practical, real-world skills that you’ll need to make tomorrow better.
We offer a variety of engineering speciality options, industry work experience, high-tech learning spaces, a vibrant campus life, and a solid foundation in modern engineering concepts. You’ll also have access to a strong support network via our Engineering Foundation Year clinic sessions.
Find out more about the Engineering Foundation Year
Shifting demographics, globalisation and rapid advances in technology mean that the nature of engineering is changing. It no longer only responds to the needs of society, but now also underpins its evolution. As a Curtin engineering student, you will develop technical, practical and real-world skills and understanding to meet the challenges facing society now and in the future.
Why study Engineering?
For the Curtin experience
- Choose between a range of four-year bachelor degrees with honours (double degree options with science or commerce)
- Benefit from extensive industry exposure and networking opportunities
- Complete the award-winning engineering foundation year
- Study a course that is accredited by Engineers Australia and internationally recognised under the Washington Accord
- Enjoy purpose-built facilities, including the $32.5 million engineering pavilion complex
- Explore flexible academic support options, which offer extra help for core units and difficult concepts
For the research excellence
In the Australian Government’s Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015 assessment, Curtin scored world standard (or above) in 26 areas of research capability, receiving a well above world standard ranking for electrical and electronic engineering.
For the international rankings
In the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2017, Curtin ranked:
- Top 100 in the world for Chemical Engineering
- Top 100 in the world for Civil and Structural Engineering
- Top 150 in the world for Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Our engineering undergraduate courses
The EFY Studio was designed to provide learning facilities that engage students with the profession of engineering. The design studio and project rooms reflect the layout of a modern office, familiarising students with the style of a professional working environment. It gives first year students a secure base from which to develop their social and academic contacts, allowing a better adjustment from secondary school to the larger learning environment of university. The studio common space and project rooms provide an amenity conducive to class team project work and peer tuition.
Students work within an environment that is a microcosm of real engineering professional practice, the studio acting as the hub of their social and academic networks.
The EFY Studio facilities include:
- an open plan design office
- project meeting rooms
- learning assistance clinics
- Computing, Electrical and Mechanics laboratories
The Engineering Foundation Year Studio has proven to be highly effective both as a platform for the EFY curriculum, and as a vehicle for students’ networking, socialisation and development of a group into a vibrant community. The studio has extended opening hours.
The Engineering Studio and common first year curriculum are real demonstrations of how Curtin remains at the forefront of Engineering Education. However, such a venture could not be possible without the financial support and commitment of many leading organisations. Curtin is proud of its close industry links, which have proved to be mutually beneficial for many years, such as: